What goes through my head

9.9.08

Culture Shock






I was tired of only having myself to talk too, ran out of good CD's and radio stations, drove around 1000 miles in a week, spent a lot of money on gas, but a lass I have made it to Mount Hermon. I wind around on the roads of the camp, in search of my house, A-frame, (and yes it really is an A-frame), one road so narrow I am sure it is not actually a road and I have made a wrong turn, but finally around a corner and there it is, A-frame. I park, walk in, shouting hello hoping for a response, but get none, I look around, notice that it is very rustic, kinda dirty, there is a dear head mounted on the living room wall, and what I think is a trapeze hanging from the ceiling in the kitchen. Some bedrooms, a small closet like bathroom, that I only assume is actually usable, another bathroom under construction, hmmmm I think to myself. I step outside searching for a signal on my phone, that no longer works, to call the lady I am working for to make sure I am in the right place, yep, pick any room you want, is the response. So I look around again, and decide on a room, unload my car, make my bed, unpack some clothes, hoping someone will come home. Nothing so I take an adventure back down the mountain to "town" which is a gas station, a Safeway, a Longs Drugs, and I think that is it. i wander around, attempt a few more phone calls, find something to eat, disappointed, alone and wanting to go home before I even give it a chance I start to drive, and find my way to Santa Cruz. It seems nice, but it is getting dark, so turn around and head for "home" again. Still no one, I notice there is no tv, so I pull out my computer hoping for internet, and strike out again. I have absolutely nothing to do. Finally two girls come home, we introduce ourselves in that awkward way, and they go to bed, so do I, dont know what else to do. Get up Sunday morning hoping for something fun to do, everyone goes to church, I go to Santa Cruz to find internet, coffee, and food, and maybe the beach. Had fun watching the random mix of people there, lots of homeless people out on the streets, amongst natural/hippie types amongst rich people, weird. As I am wondering the streets I almost got spit on by a crazy lady, but she missed me, I think she was trying to spit on an imaginary person she thought was following her. I drive some more, found the beach but there was too many people, no where to park, so I got lost, then found again, and drove home. finally there is a BBQ, and we all get to meet and hang out, and finally for the first time in 3 days I am not alone. I feel like I can make some friends, but a lot of these girls already are friends and are from around here, and it is hard to get into the circle. Monday training starts, I am not first aid/cpr certified, and it is fabulous. Things are getting easier, but the transition is a little rough. We are going camping this weekend in Yosemite National Park, which I am looking forward too, some more training next week, then the campers arrive. Anyways I am posting some pics of my "home". I will be sure to get up dating this, to keep you posted.

1 comment:

Jess and Eddy said...

Yay Jen!!! Hang in there- new jobs always suck in the beginning- I hate that feeling of not knowing anything!!! Hey look at the newbie!!! We're thinking of you- God speed!!! Love you!!!! : )

Blog Archive